Frequently asked questions

Contact info

I’m unsure who to contact?

Contact us provides contact details at Henderson for the different investments we offer.

If your account is administered by another provider (for example, a fund supermarket), you should contact them with any questions about it. Their contact details should be listed on your paperwork from them. However, do please contact us if you have general questions about the investments we manage for you.

If you hold a share certificate from an investment trust company, you should be directly registered with its registrar. You will need to contact the registrar about anything to do with registration (such as change of your address, change of your bank details for dividend payments). But please Contact us if you have general questions about the investment trusts we manage for you.

How can I tell you about a change of address?

If we directly administer your OEIC, unit trust or ISA account, you can inform us of a change of address by post or online via myHenderson


You should give us a written instruction about your change of address, telling us:

  • the account number(s)
  • the name of investor(s)
  • your old address
  • your new address
  • the signature of the investor(s)

Please see the above section I’m unsure who to contact? on where to send your instruction.


Please see the section Can I view my account online?

Product info

What are open-ended investment companies (OEICs) and unit trusts?

These are collective investment schemes that enable investors to spread their investment risk and benefit from professional fund management.

Henderson offers a wide selection of investment funds which enables you to choose the regional focus (e.g. UK or worldwide), the asset class (e.g. bonds or equities) and objective (e.g. growth or income).

Find a fund

What is an individual savings account (ISA)?

An ISA is like a wrapper that protects your investments from income and capital gains. So it enables you to hold investments tax-efficiently.

Stocks and shares ISAs provide the following tax benefits:

  • Any gains from the underlying investments in your ISA are free from capital gains tax.
  • No income tax is payable on distributions or dividends from the underlying investments in your ISA.
  • If your ISA holds corporate bonds or bond funds, the 20% tax charged on the interest distributions can be reclaimed (as is the case with a Henderson ISA) or received gross (depending on the ISA provider). If your ISA holds equities or equity funds, the 10% tax credit attached to the dividends cannot be reclaimed.

Henderson offers stocks and shares ISAs that are only available to investors aged 18 years or over who HMRC regards as resident in the UK for tax purposes.

Henderson does not offer junior ISAs (for children below 18) or cash ISAs.

ISA Application Form

ISA Additional Information

What is a new ISA (NISA)?

From 1 July 2014, existing ISAs were re-marketed as NISAs (new ISAs). Investors can invest further money up to the new annual NISA allowance of £15,240 for 2015/16.

New ISA investors can open one cash ISA and one stocks and shares ISA each tax year, just as they could with ISAs. New ISAs have two major benefits: first, the larger allowance; and second, more flexibility because you can invest your whole allowance in cash, stocks and shares, or any combination of the two.

ISA application form

ISA additional information

What is an investment trust?

Typically, these are the features of most of our investment trusts:

  • They invest in shares and securities of other companies that trade on stock markets worldwide.
  • They are listed on the London Stock Exchange.
  • An independent board of directors oversees each investment trust.
  • A fund management firm (Henderson) is appointed to manage the portfolio.
  • Their shares are traded on the open market.
  • Many investment trusts have a long heritage – the Bankers Investment Trust was launched in 1888.

What is the difference between accumulation shares/units and income shares/units?

A fund may generate income from its underlying investments. The fund may pay out or reinvest this income, depending on the type of shares or units held.

When you hold accumulation shares/units, you are normally looking for growth. The fund reinvests all the income to maximise growth potential, increasing the value of the shares/units. The number of shares/units does not change.

When you hold income shares/units, you are normally looking for income. So you can choose to have the income paid to a nominated bank or building society account. Alternatively, you can reinvest the income to purchase additional income shares/units. If a particular fund does not offer accumulation shares/units, the income can be reinvested to purchase more income shares/units.

How can I get a valuation of my investment?

There are a number of ways to obtain a valuation:

1) You can ask us by phone or by writing to us - Contact us

2) You can check online via myHenderson – you will need to register for this service if you have not already done so.

For security reasons, Henderson does not send valuations by email.

When do you send statements to me?

We send OEIC and unit trust statements twice yearly, showing the value of your holdings as at 30 June and 31 December. You should receive them about 30 business days after the valuation dates. The statements include details of any transactions during the six-month period.

For investment trust accounts we administer, the statements are dated as at 5 April and 5 October.

If you need an urgent valuation, please see How can I get a valuation of my investment? section.

What if I have a complaint?

If you would like to raise a concern about any part of your dealings with us, you can contact us by writing to the Complaints Officer, or you can phone or email us. Our contact details are in the link below:

Henderson contact details

We will deal with your complaint through our internal complaints procedures. If you are dissatisfied with our response, you may refer your case directly to:

Address: Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 March Wall, London, E14 9SR.

Telephone: 0845 080 1800


Is my investment covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme?

Yes, our business with you is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. So you may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. The kind of cover depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. The levels of compensation are set by the Government and can change. You can find out more about compensation arrangements from:

Address:Financial Services Compensation Scheme, 7th Floor, Lloyds Chambers, Portsoken Street, London E1 8BN.

Telephone: 020 7892 7300


I own shares in Henderson Group plc. Where do I find information about the company rather than the investments it manages?

Information regarding Henderson Group plc is available via the following web link:

Henderson Group PLC

Please direct all enquiries about Henderson Group plc to our Investor Relations team.


Telephone: +44 (0)20 7818 5310

Online holdings

Can I view my account online?

myHenderson enables existing UK/Channel Islands/Isle of Man-based investors to manage and monitor their Henderson OEIC, unit trust and ISA accounts online:

myHenderson enables you to:

  • View details of your investments and transactions
  • Buy, sell and switch investments securely
  • Review or amend your personal details
  • Access HGi, a new way to bring you closer to Henderson's investment expertise

Please note: This service is not available to overseas clients; although existing registered UK investors who move abroad will have read-only access.

I do not hold an account with Henderson, how can I view my holdings online?

If you hold your investment with another provider, they may provide a similar service to myHenderson.

Fund info

How do I find out about my fund(s)?

The Funds and Trusts finder section on our website provides information about our funds.

Each fund page shows prices, performance and literature (e.g. forms, factsheet, Annual and Interim Reports, and Key Investor Information Documents).

Alternatively, you can sign up for the myHenderson service

How can I get regular information from Henderson on funds, experts and topics?

If you create a profile in the HGi section of our website, you can choose to automatically receive personalised content on the funds, experts and topics that you wish to follow.

HGi is at the top right of the webpage.

Where can I see the prices for my funds?

Just click on Henderson Prices

Where do I find about the risks of my investment?

It is important to be aware that the value of your investments and the income they earn can fall as well as rise because of market and currency ups and downs. You may not get back the amount originally invested.

By selecting a fund in our funds and trusts finder page on our website it will highlight the general and specific risks for each fund which is also contained in the KIID documents.

What else can affect the pricing of my fund other than market volatility?

Most of our funds are single-priced. In other words, the price is the same whether you are buying or selling. We adjust any costs to the fund due to large purchases or redemptions by applying a ‘dilution adjustment’. This is a way of treating all customers fairly. Single pricing usually means that fund prices won’t go up or down sharply for short periods.

Some of our funds are dual-priced. We price them either on an ‘offer’ or ‘bid’ basis depending on if the fund is expanding or contracting. It is industry practice to switch between the two, depending on whether there are more buyers (offer basis) or more sellers (bid basis) of a fund at any one time. We try to keep our dual-priced funds on a consistent pricing basis – offer or bid. But at times of large purchases or large redemptions of fund shares/units, we have to switch from one to the other. This ensures we treat all investors fairly and take account of all costs when valuing each dual-priced fund. It may mean, though, that you will notice the price of these funds going up or down sharply for short periods.

What are the charges?

The simple guide explains the main fund charges on Henderson’s OEICs and unit trusts and provides a breakdown of what makes up the ongoing charges figure (OCF). Please see the link A Simple Guide to Charges

I am an ethical investor, which of your funds will meet my needs?

We manage the following funds according to social, environmental and ethical criteria. The managers choose investments that meet their criteria, and avoid investments that do not.

  • Henderson Global Care Growth fund
  • Henderson Global Care UK Income fund
  • Henderson Institutional Global Care Managed fund

The criteria will be different for each of the above Global Care funds. Click funds and trusts Finder for more information.


How can I invest in a Henderson fund (new investors)?

New Investors can invest in our OEICs, unit trusts or ISA by post or telephone.

Please ensure that you have read the relevant KIID (Key Investor Information Document) and Additional Information Document for the fund that you wish to invest in. These detail the terms and conditions, risks and charges for the respective investment.


You need to complete the relevant application form and post it back to Henderson with a cheque from your own account. You can download our forms from the link below:

ISA Application form

OEIC/Unit trust application form

KIID documents

ISA Additional Information


To invest over the telephone, you must have cleared funds on a debit card to buy an OEIC, unit trust or ISA. Our telephone dealing line is 0800 832 832.

How can I top up my existing Henderson holding?

You can top up your existing OEICs and Unit Trusts holdings by post or telephone or online.

Please ensure that you have read the latest KIID and Additional Information Document for your investment.


Please download, print, complete and return the Application To Top Up Form which is available in the following link:

Top up an ISA

Top up a OEIC/unit trust investment

If you want to top up your existing ISA holdings by post and have not invested in an ISA in the current tax year, you will need to complete an ISA application form:

New ISA application form

ISA Additional Information


To top up over the telephone, you must have cleared funds on a debit card to purchase an OEIC/Unit Trust. Our telephone dealing line is 0800 832 832.


You can top up online via myHenderson or see section on Can I view my account online?

How can I switch my existing Henderson holding?

You can instruct us to switch an existing OEIC, unit trust or ISA holding by post, phone or fax or online. Please ensure that you have read the latest KIID document and Additional Information Document for the fund you wish to switch to.


Please download, print, complete and return the Application To Switch form


Please call our telephone dealing line on 0800 832 832.


You can switch online via myHenderson (see above section on Can I view my account online?).


An Application To Switch form can be faxed to 0845 144 0101.

If you are switching to an income share class, we will automatically reinvest the income unless you give us instructions to pay out the income.

How can I sell my existing Henderson holding?

It is possible to sell by telephone, post, online or fax.


Please call our telephone dealing line on 0800 832 832.


Please download, print, complete and return the Withdrawal Form


You can sell online via myHenderson or see above section on Can I view my account online?


A Withdrawal Form can be sent to 0845 144 0101.

If you have an existing direct debit, please also tell us whether to stop or continue it.

How can I get Henderson to pay income directly to my bank account?

You has several options:

  • You can complete and post us a Direct Credit Form.
  • You can send us a letter giving a clear instruction to pay the income to a bank account or building society account.
  • Please include your name, address, account number, sort code, roll number (for a building society account) and signature.

You will need to provide proof from your bank or building society that the receiving account belongs to you. Please send us an original or certified copy of one of the following: voided cheque (i.e., blank and crossed through), bank statement (no older than 3 months) or blank paying-in slip with your bank details pre-printed.

For details on how and who can certify the paperwork, please see How is my account affected by UK Anti-Money Laundering requirements?

How can I set up a regular savings plan on an existing account?

You can make the first monthly investment by personal cheque drawn on the same account as your direct debit. Alternatively, we can collect the first payment by direct debit but first you have to send us an original bank or building society statement (no more than 3 months old) or an original paying-in slip for the same account as the direct debit. This is to prove that the account belongs to you.

Please make sure we receive any direct debit instruction form at least 13 working days before the collection date (which is the 1st or 15th of the month).

For investments held outside an ISA


Please complete, sign and return the appropriate application form including the attached direct debit mandate form.

OEIC/unit trust application form

Additional Investor Information Document


It’s easy to set up a regular savings amount via myHenderson or see the section Can I view my account online?

For investments held within an ISA


If you do not have an ISA with Henderson for the current or previous tax year, you will need to complete an ISA application form, It includes a direct debit instruction.

If you do have an ISA with Henderson for the current or the previous tax year, these are the steps:

1. Complete and sign the direct debit instruction form (section 6) of the ISA application form.

2. Provide a signed written instruction to put the regular savings amount into your ISA. Your instruction must include your name, address, existing account number, the fund you wish to invest in, the direct debit amount and confirmation that you have read the latest KIID and the Additional Information Document and ISA additional information.

3. Send us both documents.


It’s easy to set up a regular savings amount via myHenderson or see the section Can I view my account online?

When can I expect settlement after I sell my holding?

If you sell your holding, the date that we would release the proceeds to you would be 4 working days from the trade date (also known as T+4) as long as we do not need further paperwork or Anti Money Laundering verification.

How is my account affected by UK Anti-Money Laundering requirements?

Under UK law and regulations on preventing money laundering and terrorist financing, we must verify our clients’ identity. In certain circumstances, we may need you to provide more information to verify your identity. If so, we will write to you before we send you any proceeds.

If we ask for more identity information, the list below details the documents we can accept. We must receive one piece of evidence to verify your name and another to verify your address, so two separate pieces in all.

One name verification from the following list:

  • Current signed passport
  • Current signed UK/EEA Photocard Driving Licence
  • Current full UK Driving Licence (old version)
  • Identity Card
  • Benefits book or original notification letter from the Benefits Agency confirming the right to benefits or state pension
  • Inland Revenue Tax Notification/Letter (Tax Assessment, Notice of Coding or Statement of Account) dated within the last tax year – Not P45 or P60
  • Shotgun or Firearm certificate
  • Residence permit issued by the Home Office to EU Nationals
  • EEA Member state identity card
  • Self-employed registration cards for construction industry (CIS3(partner), CIS4 (P), CIS5, CIS6)

And one address confirmation from the following list

  • Local authority tax bill (valid for current year)
  • Current signed UK/EEA Photocard Driving Licence or blue disabled drivers pass
  • Paper provisional Driving Licence
  • Recent system generated or signed documentation from a regulated financial sector firm indicating that an account/investment/insurance relationship exists and which includes the account holder address. (Depending on timescale of issue. i.e. if yearly must be dated within the past year.)
  • Solicitor/Lawyer letter confirming a house purchase or land registry confirmation
  • Local Council rent card or tenancy agreement
  • Benefits book or original notification letter from the Benefits Agency confirming the right to benefits
  • Recent utility bill (not mobile phone bill) or certification from a supplier of utilities confirming the arrangement to pay for the services on pre-payment terms. Must be dated within the last 3 months
  • Inland Revenue correspondence addressed to the applicant at the stated address
  • EEA Member state identity card
  • Northern Ireland voter’s card

We recommend you do not send original items of valuable personal identity (e.g. passports, driving licences or benefit books). Instead, please arrange for copies of the documents to be certified. All copies should clearly show the words “certified a true copy of the original” on each page and the certifier must sign, date, print their name, state their job title and work address. The certification must be dated within the last year.

We can accept documents certified by the following people:

  • Police officer
  • Notary public
  • Solicitor
  • Accountant
  • Representative of an FCA or EU regulated organisation (such as a bank)
  • Officials of an embassy, consulate or high commission of the country of issue of identity documents
  • Post Office identity checking service
  • QC/District Judge
  • Military Commanding Officer
  • Judge
  • GP
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Local Government Officer

Please note that we cannot accept documents certified by a family member.

How much tax will I pay?

Your tax rate and whether you are eligible for any tax relief depends on your own personal circumstances and is likely to vary over time. The information below is based on our understanding of HM Revenue and Customs practice. It summarises the position of investors who are UK residents, but please note that there may be other taxes that apply to the investment. We recommend that you take professional advice, particularly if you are taxed outside the UK.

Capital Gains Tax

If your total realised gains from all investments subject to Capital Gains Tax (“CGT”) do not exceed the annual exemption level you will not pay any Capital Gains Tax. The current CGT rate and annual exempt amount can be found at the HM Revenue and Customs website.

Income Tax

Distributions of income generated by a fund are treated as income for tax purposes. The income can be one of two types: interest distributions or dividend distributions. This will depend on the nature of the investment, in other words whether it is a bond fund or an equity fund.

If you are a starting-rate or basic-rate taxpayer, you will have no more income tax to pay. We have shown below the tax treatment for starting-rate, basic-rate, higher-rate and additional-rate tax payers for the two types of income.

Interest distributions

  • These have income tax deducted at 20% (the basic rate).
  • If you do not pay tax, or are a starting rate taxpayer, you can reclaim all or part of this tax.
  • If you are a basic rate taxpayer, you will not pay any further tax. Higher-rate and additional-rate taxpayers have a further tax liability.
  • The law requires us to report all interest distributions to HM Revenue and Customs.

Dividend distributions

  • Dividend distributions to individual investors carry a 10% tax credit, in other words 10% tax is deducted before payment.
  • If you are a starting-rate or basic-rate taxpayer, you will have no more income tax to pay.
  • If you are a higher-rate or additional-rate taxpayer, you will be liable to income tax on the grossed- up dividend income at 32.5% or 42.5% respectively, but you can offset the 10% tax credit against this.
  • You cannot reclaim the tax credit.

How can I invest in an investment trust?

You can invest in our investment trusts through the share-dealing service of one of our partners or via a share-dealing service of your own choice.

Click here for details of our partners

Why can’t I invest in investment trusts directly with Henderson?

It is not economically viable for us to do offer direct investment in these trusts. So we put you in touch with Partners who have a good history of investing heavily in their computer systems, people and services.

How do I get financial advice?

Henderson does not offer financial advice. We recommend that you speak to an independent financial adviser (IFA) if you need advice.

A useful website for finding an IFA is We are not linked to the website and are not responsible for any advice it may give.


What happens to my investment on death?

Investments form part of your estate on death. When we receive the death certificate and sealed grant of probate or letters of administration, we may sell the investment for the benefit of the estate or re-register it in the names of the executors or administrators of the estate or a beneficiary.

How do I register the death of an investor?

It is important to ensure that the investor held an account with Henderson directly (their correspondence should help identify this). Otherwise, you may have to register the death again with the correct provider (e.g. a fund supermarket) or a registrar (e.g. where investment trust share certificates are held).

If the investor held an account directly with Henderson, please send us original or certified copies of documents confirming the death (e.g. death certificate, grant of probate, letters of administration). Include a covering letter that details the investor’s name, address and account number as well as your own name and address.

For OEIC, unit trust and ISA accounts, our address is:

Henderson Global Investors
PO Box 9023
CM99 2WB

For Investment trust accounts, our address is:

Henderson Global Investors
PO Box 10665
CM99 2WF

Important message